St. James Church, Thorpe Thewles
The image above of St. James Church, Thorpe Thewles is taken from an Edwardian picture postcard.
St. James' is the second church to be erected on this site which was to serve as the parish church after the church of St. Thomas of Canterbury at Grindon fell into disrepair. The first church on the site at Thorpe Thewles was that dedicated to the Holy Trinity. This first building was erected in 1848 but was subsequently re-built in 1886-7 and dedicated to the honour of St. James.
St. James church is of stone and built in the style of the 13th century. It consists of a chancel, nave, south porch, west end tower and spire. The tower contains one bell, cast by Taylor of Loughborough in 1887. The funds to built St. James were largely raised by the Marchioness of Londonderry and her friends.
To view a ground plan of the previous church of Holy Trinity, which briefly stood on the site now occupied by that of St. James Church go to the Links page of this site.
Back to Gallery